« Home | old quotes » | on journal keeping » | if i were... » | tasty turnips » | ALL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN MET » | if I grow up ... » | destined to graduate » | dancing sandwich » | delving by way of questionnaire » | intro to me [back when] »

shoes

I need new shoes, sneakers, tennis shoes, whatever you call them. My current pair are losing their soles (I'll spare you the obvious religious/existential puns), and are really just too tight anyway. I have had them a crazy length of time - since at least 1994. Yes, that's almost TEN YEARS. Obviously they don't get that much use. On the other hand, we have history together -- the single purple shoelace in the right one from my 15th birthday party, and all my high school sports: field hockey, softball, floor hockey. Surprising that my feet haven't grown more.

I waver between fascination with shoes (all the options), and impatience with the whole business. I love my plain Birkenstock sandals, but they're not exactly formal. I'd like to have some nice shoes, elegant shoes, shoes to wear to church or out on the town (ha), shoes that will somehow make my whole outfit look fantastic. Maybe delicate strappy sandals, or chunk-heeled square-toed solid dress shoes. And of course the all-purpose, ultra supportive sneakers -- excuse me, athletic shoes that will make me jump higher, run faster, play better.

And what about shoes to match your every outfit, or else outfits to match your shoes? I tend to feel vaguely scornful of those with tremendous shoe collections. It seems so stereotypically female, vain, wasteful even. When do you wear them? They do not fit with a streamlined, Zen or Thorough-ian lifestyle. Living by a little lake, just me and simplicity and 2 closetsful of pumps, loafers, sandals, sneakers, slippers, clogs, moccasins, flipflops, platforms, houseshoes. I don't think so.

All this and I absolutely detest wearing socks, love to run around in bare feet. Though it's fraught with vulnerability. Exposure in the presence of bugs, roaches, fears about needles, parasites or something sinister lurking in the dirt. It's a shame, since there's not much better than the feel of sand, new grass, mud between your naked toes.

***

"Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music -- the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls, and interesting people. Forget yourself." - Henry Miller

About me

  • I'm falwyn
  • From Southwest, United States
My profile

Archives


been here